Historic Buildings of Massachusetts

  • About
  • Index by Town
  • CT
  • About
  • Index by Town
  • CT

Category: Springfield

Hampden Savings Bank (1918)

by Dan/July 11, 2013/Banks, Neoclassical, Springfield

Hampden Savings Bank (1918)

The Hampden Savings Bank Building, at 1665 Main Street in Springfield, was built in 1918. Designed by Max Westhoff, it displays fine Classical Revival detailing. The bank was founded in 1852, the same year Springfield was incorporated as a city. It was originally established to serve railroad workers and was located near the railroad depot. From 1852 to 1871, the Hampden Savings Bank shared space with the Agawam National Bank. In 1899 it moved to the Fort Block, at the corner of Main and Fort Streets. The bank occupied its 1918 building until 1952, when it moved to a new building at 19 Harrison Avenue. The former bank building now houses a law office.

74 Fairfield Street, Springfield (1903)

by Dan/June 29, 2013/Colonial Revival, Foursquare, Houses, Springfield

74 Fairfield St., Springfield

The house at 74 Fairfield Street in Springfield was built in 1903 for Henry Russell, but it is most notable as the childhood home of Dr. Seuss. Theodore Geisel was born on March 2, 1904, in his family’s home on Howard Street. In 1906, when he was two, his family moved to 74 Fairfield Street, where they would live until 1943. The author’s father, Theodore Geisel, senior, ran the family brewery until it closed due to prohibition. He then became superintendent of city parks, which included the local zoo. Ted Geisel moved away after he graduated from Dartmouth in 1925, but images from his childhood in Springfield would later reappear in his illustrated children’s books.

F. L. Brigham House (1902)

by Dan/June 6, 2013/Colonial Revival, Houses, Springfield, Tudor Revival

Brigham House

The F. L. Brigham House is located at 73 Washington Road in the Springfield neighborhood of Forest Park Heights. It is a Colonial and English Revival house built in 1902. F. L. Brigham M.D. was associated with the Worcester Sanitarium in 1905.

St. George Greek Orthodox Cathedral (1869)

by Dan/April 14, 2013/Churches, Gothic, Springfield

St. George Greek Orthodox Cathedral, Springfield

In 1865, a society was formed to establish a new Congregational church in the the north section of Springfield. The cornerstone for the new Memorial Congregational Church was laid on July 18, 1867. The church, constructed on a knoll at Plainfield and North Main Streets (an area now called Memorial Square), was designed by Richard Upjohn. The granite used for the building was the gift of Mr. William Flint of Monson. The church was dedicated on June 3, 1869. In 1940, Memorial Congregational Church merged with Hope Congregational Church (Hope Church merged with Faith Congregational Church in 1977). The former Memorial Congregational Church building was sold to the Hellenic Religious Building Fund Corporation to become St. George’s Greek Orthodox Church. A brick house on Auburn Street had become the church’s first building in 1907. The church moved to Patton Street in 1919. In 1977, one-third of the church community left to form the new St. Luke parish in East Longmeadow. St. George Church then became known as St. George Greek Orthodox Cathedral.

F. Nichols House (1896)

by Dan/November 8, 2012November 8, 2012/Colonial Revival, Foursquare, Houses, Springfield

Located at 61 Washington Road, in the Forest Park Heights section of Springfield, is the F. Nichols House, a colonial revival-style residence, built in 1896. From 1905 to 1955, it was the home of Thornton W. Burgess (1874-1965). A conservationist and author, Burgess wrote Old Mother West Wind and many other children’s books.

Foot-Wallace House (1844)

by Dan/October 22, 2012/Gothic, Houses, Springfield

The Foot-Wallace House is a Gothic Revival cottage-style structure built in 1844 at 201 Maple Street in Springfield. Its originally wood exterior walls were covered in stucco in 1898, the same year an orange tile roof was added. Later part of the campus of the MacDuffie School, the house‘s tile roof sustained major damage from the Springfield tornado of June 1, 2011. The above photograph was taken before the tornado.

Memorial Church Parish House (1894)

by Dan/October 12, 2012/Apartment Buildings, Neoclassical, Organizations, Springfield

The Memorial Church Parish House, at 2309 Main Street in Springfield, was built in 1894-1895. Is is a Classical Revival building, designed by Francis R. Richmond. Both Memorial Church and the Parish House were acquired by St. George Greek Orthodox Cathedral in 1940. In the 1970s, the Parish House was sold and converted into apartments.

Posts navigation

Older posts
Newer posts
Privacy Policy

Categories

  • Architectural Style (943)
    • Art Deco (9)
    • Byzantine (3)
    • Colonial (177)
    • Colonial Revival (85)
    • Craftsman (6)
    • Egyptian Revival (1)
    • Federal (190)
    • Foursquare (6)
    • Gothic (67)
    • Greek Revival (100)
    • Italianate (82)
    • Mission Revival (2)
    • Mission/Spanish Colonial (1)
    • Modern (2)
    • Neoclassical (56)
    • Octagon (3)
    • Postmodern (1)
    • Queen Anne (46)
    • Renaissance Revival (26)
    • Romanesque Revival (53)
    • Second Empire (26)
    • Shingle Style (12)
    • Stick Style (13)
    • Tudor Revival (8)
    • Vernacular (49)
    • Victorian Eclectic (15)
  • Building Type (943)
    • Apartment Buildings (8)
    • Banks (18)
    • Churches (119)
    • Collegiate (32)
    • Commercial (102)
    • Hotels (16)
    • Houses (508)
    • Industrial (23)
    • Libraries (22)
    • Lighthouses (1)
    • Military (15)
    • Monuments (1)
    • Museums (12)
    • Organizations (39)
    • Outbuildings (17)
    • Public Buildings (50)
    • Schools (23)
    • Stations (5)
    • Synagogues (1)
    • Taverns (21)
    • Theaters (9)
  • Town (943)
    • Adams (11)
    • Agawam (4)
    • Amherst (50)
    • Boston (64)
    • Boylston (6)
    • Cambridge (30)
    • Clinton (21)
    • Concord (15)
    • Cummington (1)
    • Danvers (14)
    • Deerfield (31)
    • Gloucester (18)
    • Granville (10)
    • Great Barrington (2)
    • Hadley (9)
    • Hancock (15)
    • Harvard (32)
    • Holyoke (47)
    • Lenox (5)
    • Lexington (8)
    • Longmeadow (32)
    • Marblehead (40)
    • Marlborough (4)
    • Natick (22)
    • Newton (2)
    • Northampton (68)
    • Peabody (4)
    • Pittsfield (20)
    • Salem (110)
    • Saugus (4)
    • Sheffield (4)
    • South Hadley (8)
    • Southborough (8)
    • Southwick (4)
    • Springfield (67)
    • Stockbridge (19)
    • Stow (1)
    • Sturbridge (18)
    • Sudbury (7)
    • Waltham (11)
    • Watertown (1)
    • Wayland (8)
    • West Springfield (14)
    • Westfield (46)
    • Weston (2)
    • Worcester (26)
  • Uncategorized (1)

Recent Comments

  • Wilber Blackson on South Hadley
  • Tami Speiden on Stockbridge
  • DexGuru on Stockbridge

Tags

Alcott Amherst College Asher Benjamin Back Bay Baptist Beacon Hill Big E Black Heritage Trail bowfront Bulfinch Catholic Congregational Episcopal Freedom Trail Gambrel H.H. Richardson Harvard Hawthorne Historic Deerfield Isaac Damon lit Longfellow mansard Methodist Mount Holyoke Museum Museums NPS Old Sturbridge Village PEM Revolutionary War row houses saltbox Samuel McIntire Shakers Smith College SPNEA Springfield Armory Stephen C. Earle Storrowton Underground Railroad UU Washington William Fenno Pratt Witch Trials

Meta

  • Log in
  • Entries feed
  • Comments feed
  • WordPress.org
Proudly powered by WordPress | Theme: ShowMe by NEThemes.