The asymmetrically-laid-out house at 40 Summer Street in Salem was built around 1762 by Capt. Thomas Eden (d. 1768), who lived with his family in one part while running a retail shop in the other. Later owners partitioned the house as a residence between them. In 1889, the entire house was owned by the Browne family and in 1923 it was purchased by the Sanders family. The house has a matched-board gable end.