Founded in 1867, the Episcopal Theological School (now the Episcopal Divinity School) hired the architectural firm of Ware and Van Brunt to design their campus on Brattle Street in Cambridge. The first building to be constructed was St. John’s Chapel. Modeled on an English parish church, it was built in 1868-1869. The chapel’s tower is constructed of Roxbury puddingstone. The original side entrance was joined by a new main entrance on the end, added in the 1960s.