The house at 359 Essex Street in Salem was built in 1788-1789 by Benjamin Smith and Capt. Nicholas Crosby. They later divided their property and Crosby built his own house next door. From 1815 to the 1880s, the Smith-Crosby-Endicott House was owned by Capt. Samuel Endicott and his descendants. The Greek Revival-style entrance to this Federal-style house is a later addition.