In 1907, Sarah Williams Storrs, who lived in the former home of her grandfather, Rev. Richard Salter Storrs in Longmeadow, left the house and $5000 to the town to establish a library in memory of her grandfather. The house contained the library into the 1930s, expanding to a second building to the rear in 1916. In 1932, through the efforts of the private nonprofit library corporation and the Town of Longmeadow, a new Richard Salter Storrs Library building was opened. The house, which had previously occupied the site of the new Library, was moved to a new location, just to the south. The Georgian Revival-style Library was restored and expanded in 1989.