The various sections of the house at 44 Colton Place in Longmeadow were built at different times, but its earliest section, dating to 1775, is attributed to Asa Colton. He was a veteran of the Colonial Wars who fought at the Siege of Louisbourg in 1748. Some sources say the house was later the home of Daniel Burbank, a veteran of the Civil War, while another states that it was sold out of the Colton family in 1865 to D. Erskine Burbank, son of Daniel Burbank (died 1865), the local butcher. Erskine Burbank served in the state legislature during the Civil War and was Justice of the Peace for 28 years. Around 1900, the house was moved from its original location, at the current site of the Center School Annex on Longmeadow Green, to its present address.
Longmeadow has had a number of town halls over the years. The building known as the Old Town Hall (pdf), at 417 Longmeadow Street, was built in 1900 and served as the town’s Second District school, then as the Town Office, and then as an American Legion Hall. Today, it is a general multi-purpose use building owned by the town.
After his first home in Longmeadow burned, Calvin Cooley built a new brick house on the same site, 418 Longmeadow Street, in 1827. Calvin Cooley’s eldest son, James, became a lawyer and in 1826 was sent by Henry Clay, president John Quincy Adams’ Secretary of State, to Lima, Peru as charge d’affaires, where he died several months later. Another son, Alford Cooley, married Caroline Bliss Saxton Cooley in 1833. Their daughter, Caroline L. Cooley Eveleth, later lived in the house with her husband. The Cooley-Eveleth House has a rear wing added in the 1930s.
The Bliss-Colton House, at 1077 Longmeadow Street in Longmeadow, was built in 1790 for Aaron Bliss (1730-1810), who married Miriam Colton in 1754. One of their sons, Aaron Bliss, Jr., was in Capt. David Burt’s company of minutemen from Longmeadow who marched to Boston on April 20, 1775. Aaron Bliss, Jr. died during the Revolutionary War, on June 25, 1776. The house was later owned by Alvah Colton.
Built around 1794-1796, the house of Capt. Gideon Colton is a Federal-style residence at 1028 Longmeadow Street in Longmeadow. It was constructed with beams cut from trees on the Colton property. When the house was photographed in 1934 for the Historic American Buildings Survey, it still displayed the later additions of a balustrade on the roof and an elaborate entry portico, which have since been removed.
In 1907, Sarah Williams Storrs, who lived in the former home of her grandfather, Rev. Richard Salter Storrs in Longmeadow, left the house and $5000 to the town to establish a library in memory of her grandfather. The house contained the library into the 1930s, expanding to a second building to the rear in 1916. In 1932, through the efforts of the private nonprofit library corporation and the Town of Longmeadow, a new Richard Salter Storrs Library building was opened. The house, which had previously occupied the site of the new Library, was moved to a new location, just to the south. The Georgian Revival-style Library was restored and expanded in 1989.
Originally a center-chimney house, built in 1725, the Captain David Burt House is considered to be one of Longmeadow’s oldest houses. The center chimney was destroyed in a fire in the nineteenth century and replaced by a central staircase and two smaller chimneys. The side wings were also added later.