Typical of houses of its period, including in its entryway, is the Josiah Woodbury House, on Broad Street in Salem, built around 1774. Woodbury was a mason and the house stayed in his family until 1815. The house has a rear ell of a type known as a Beverly Jog.
The Buffington-Goodhue-Wheatland House, at 374 Essex Street in Salem, was built around 1785 or earlier for Capt. Nehemiah Buffington, who died in 1832. It soon passed to Benjamin Goodhue, who moved the house forward to be closer to Essex Street. He also added the Greek Revival-style entrance. The house was in the Wheatland family from 1849 to early in the twentieth century.
Going back to 1646, the Saugus Iron Works were the first integrated ironworks in North America. Various buildings of the Iron Works complex were reconstructed in the 1950s on their original sites and are today part of the Saugus Iron Works National Historic Site. A timber-framed seventeenth-century house, traditionally called the “Old Iron Works House,” is also located on the site. It was once believed to have been built in 1646, but is now thought to have been constructed in the 1680s, about a decade after the Iron Works ceased production in 1668. The first known resident of the house, from 1681 to 1688, was Samuel Appleton. By the early twentieth century, the house had become a tenement and had been much altered. In 1915, it was purchased by Wallace Nutting, antiquarian and entrepreneur, who hired Boston architect Henry Charles Dean to restore the house. Nutting renamed the restored house “Broadhearth” and it became part of his chain of colonial homes. As with his other properties, Nutting took photographs of his models posing in the house, which he marketed through a catalog. He soon hired a blacksmith to work at the site, but eventually decided to sell the property to an antiques dealer from Boston.
Built around 1794-1796, the house of Capt. Gideon Colton is a Federal-style residence at 1028 Longmeadow Street in Longmeadow. It was constructed with beams cut from trees on the Colton property. When the house was photographed in 1934 for the Historic American Buildings Survey, it still displayed the later additions of a balustrade on the roof and an elaborate entry portico, which have since been removed.
One of the oldest houses in Marblehead is the John Palmer House at 11 Hooper Street. The house was built in 1683 and has framing timbers made of English walnut, salvaged from a sailing vessel (one timber was formerly a mast and still displays rope marks). The two houses on either side immediately adjoin the Palmer House. Today, the house has sash windows, which long ago replaced the original irregularly spaced casement windows.
In 1873, Alexander Graham Bell took up residence in the Sanders Homestead on Essex Street in Salem. The house was home to the grandmother of Bell’s deaf pupil George Sanders, whose father, Thomas Sanders, became an investor in Bell’s telephone system. Until 1876, Bell used a room in the Sanders House to conduct the experiments which led to his development of the telephone. The house was later torn down and in 1898 a Y.M.C.A. building was completed on the site. Designed by architect Walter J. Paine of Beverly, it combines elements of the Beaux-Arts and Colonial Revival styles. The building originally had an elaborate fourth-story loggia, since removed. The Y.M.C.A. Building also houses the North Shore Children’s Museum.