Monthly Archives: January 2010

St. Michael’s Cathedral, Springfield (1860)

Built in 1860, Saint Michael’s Cathedral, on State Street in Springfield, is the mother church of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Springfield. The Cathedral was designed by the prominent church architect, Patrick Keely. The interior has many examples of Keely’s … Continue reading

Share Button
Posted in Churches, Gothic, Springfield | Tagged | Comments Off on St. Michael’s Cathedral, Springfield (1860)

The Thomas Pellet House (1670)

The earliest sections of the Thomas Pellet House, off Monument Square and across from the First Parish Church in Concord, date to 1670. The house has had a number of additions, much of the present structure being completed by early … Continue reading

Share Button
Posted in Colonial, Concord, Houses | Tagged | 6 Comments

First Baptist Church of Weston (1924)

The Baptist Society in Weston was formed in 1784 and the first church building constructed on the north side of South Avenue in 1788. Until 1825, the Baptists were required to pay taxes to support the First Parish Church, although … Continue reading

Share Button
Posted in Churches, Colonial Revival, Weston | Tagged | Comments Off on First Baptist Church of Weston (1924)

The Old Pease House (1830)

The Old Pease House in Longmeadow is usually listed in records with a date of 1830, but was actually built much earlier. It’s first owner was Skinner Coomes, who was mentioned by Dr. Frederick Colton in his Address, delivered on … Continue reading

Share Button
Posted in Federal, Houses, Longmeadow | 1 Comment