The Norton-Johnson-Burleigh House at 85 Brattle Street in Cambridge, is a Gothic-Revival villa built in 1847. The house was influenced by the ideas on villa architecture of Andrew Jackson Downing, but was modeled on a specific pattern, attributed to Henry Austin of New Haven, as printed in The Builder’s Guide by Chester Hills of Hartford.
The home of Rev. John F. Moors in Deerfield was built in 1848. Rev. Moors was the minister at Deerfield’s Brick Church and later at the Greenfield Unitarian Church. He was also Chaplain of the Fifty-second Regiment of Massachusetts Volunteers in the Civil War and wrote the unit’s regimental history.
Boston’s New Old South Church, on Boylston Street, is located off Copley Square, not far from Trinity Church, and was built in 1874-5. At that time, the congregation moved from its famous eighteenth century meetinghouse. Designed in a Venetian or Northern Italian Gothic style by Charles Cummings, based on the High Victorian Gothic ideas of John Ruskin, the church makes a strong architectural statement on its prominent corner location, contrasting with the neoclassical Boston Public Library across the street. John Evans, a sculptor from Scotland, carved the exterior sculpture of both New Old South and Trinity churches. The original tower began to lean and was removed in 1931, eventually being replaced by a newer and shorter tower in 1941.