Catholics from western Ukraine who had settled in the area of South Deerfield formed Descent of the Holy Ghost parish in 1920. Land was soon purchased on Sugarloaf Street from Charles Mosher. An 1850s carriage shed on the property was moved to a new foundation and adapted to become what is now called Descent of the Holy Spirit Ukrainian Catholic Church. Across the street is Holy Family Roman Catholic Church.
St. Peter & St. Paul Orthodox Church in Springfield was founded as St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church in 1916. The congregation’s first church was a brick house on Carew Street in the city’s North End, which was purchased in 1917. The church was reorganized in 1928, when it took the name of St. Peter and St. Paul Russian Orthodox Church. The original church building was later replaced by the current church, built in 1944 and designed by Arthur A. Smith. The church, which is located at 118 Carew Street, won a Preservation Award from the Springfield Preservation Trust in 2008 for the re-gilding of its onion domes in gold leaf.
The Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom was celebrated for the first time in Holyoke in 1911 and Greek Orthodox services began to be regularly held in the city by 1914. Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church was built in 1916-1917. Two decades later, the mortgage for the church was retired. The Consecration of the edifice, located at 410 Main Street, took place on November 30, 1938. The church was designed by the well known Greek architect, Kyriakos Kalfas of New York City. He modeled its Byzantine design on that of the Church of the Pantocrator in Patras, Greece. A fire on January 31, 1977 extensively damaged the church, but rebuilding process soon began. Services resumed in the church by July 1978 and the building was consecrated again on October 7, 1979.