At 131 King Street in Northampton is an armory building constructed by the city in 1899-1900 and purchased by the state in 1912. Designed by Gardner, Pyne & Gardner of Springfield, it served as constabulary headquarters and as barracks for police and military groups. It also provided a large interior space for recreational and civic events. It now houses offices.
The Adams Armory, at 89 Park Street in Adams, was built in 1914. Modeled after a Norman castle, its architects were H. S. Libbey and Company and McFarland and Colby. The Armory was one of nine throughout Massachusetts that were closed by the state National Guard in 2003. Vacant since that time, it was recently leased to Ideal Event Management, of Bennington, Vermont, which plans to host events the building.
The Worcester National Guard Armory at 44 Salisbury Street was built in 1889-1890 to replace the earlier Waldo Street Armory, which had developed structural problems. Facing what was then called Armory Square, the new Armory was designed by Fuller & Delano, who also later designed the rear addition of 1907. The building’s central tower was later shortened from its original height. In 1994, the Armory was renovated to house the National Guard Museum and Archives. It is also home to the Americal Division’s World War II Museum.
One of the many historic buildings that were severely damaged by the June 1, 2011 Springfield tornado was the former Springfield State Armory on Howard Street. Also known as the Howard Street Armory, it was built in 1895 to the designs of Robert Wait and Amos Porter Cutting, Boston-based partners who designed many of the state armories throughout Massachusetts. In more recent years, the Armory served as the South End Community Center. The tornado destroyed the rear drill shed, but the castle-like head house, which faces Howard Street, survived. Now an endangered historic resource, preservationists are hoping the Romanesque Revival structure will be restored.
At 163 Sargeant Street in Holyoke is a former National Guard Armory, originally called the M.V.M. Armory for the Massachusetts Volunteer militia. It was designed by local architect William J. Howe and built in 1907. Its facade was said to be a replica of New Hawarden Castle, once the residence of former British Prime Minister William Ewart Gladstone. In 1990, the building was seized by the Hampden County Sherriff to house excess prisoners. The Armory building is currently vacant.
A number of buildings were constructed at the Springfield Armory to serve as Company Officer’s Quarters. Pictured above is one of a pair of adjacent identical structures built in the Greek Revival style in 1836. Next to these is an earlier building, dating to 1833. A fourth one, facing Armory Square, was built in 1880. All four buildings are now part of the campus of Springfield Technical Community College. Scroll or click below to see pictures of the other three buildings: Read More
Both civilians and military personnel worked at the Springfield Armory, with the military presence increasing during the Civil War and in the following years. Requiring more housing for junior officers, a duplex house was built for the purpose on Armory Square in 1870. The house is unlike other Armory buildings, having been designed in the Second Empire style with a Mansard roof.