The house of Horatio Coomes at the south end of Longmeadow Green was built around 1831, although parts may have been built earlier, as there were buildings on the property when it was sold to Coomes in 1826. Coomes later built another home nearby and the sold the earlier house, which is now known as the Coomes-Almquist House. Many rooms were added to the expanding house over the years.
Where today there is a flagpole on Longmeadow Green, the town’s first church, built in 1716, once stood. By 1764 it was decided that, owing to the great number of repairs the building needed, a new church should be constructed. It was built on the Green in 1767-1768 and in 1769, the old meeting house was torn down. The new church was remodeled in 1828 and in 1874 it went through even more drastic changes, being moved from the Green to its present site and again being remodeled. The First Church of Christ‘s white pillared front portico was added in 1932, modeled on Boston’s Arlington Street Church.
Built off Longmeadow Green in the 1850s, the home of Stephen Colton is an excellent example of a Gothic Revival cottage. It was based on the ideas of Andrew Jackson Downing, specifically the plan for a “symmetrical cottage,” from his book, The Architecture of Country Houses (1850). A Stephen T. Colton is listed as having served as selectman in Longmeadow in the 1850s and during the Civil War.
The 1821 brick Federal style home of Samuel Colton Booth is at 577 Longmeadow Street in Longmeadow. Booth was married twice, first to Mary Ann Alvord and then to Rhoda Colton. He was a farmer who had a strong interest in mineralogy and archeology, collecting many specimens, which were later donated to the Springfield Science Museum. His daughter, Mary Ann Booth, also pursued an interest in natural science. Samuel Colton Booth was also a member of the Massachusetts Militia in the early nineteenth century.