R. L. Nichols House (1893)

202 Sumner Ave., Springfield

The R. L. Nichols House, 202 Sumner Avenue in Springfield, was built in 1893. The following notice appeared in The Horse Review, Vol. XXI, No. 12 (March 20, 1900):

Anyone looking for a free-for-all pacer can be accommodated by R. L. Nichols, 202 Sumner Ave., Springfield, Mass. The mare he will sell has a mark of 2:12%, timed In a race In 2:09%, and she can wipe her record out by some seconds. She is sound and clean, fit to train, and a genuine race mare. Her owner Is In no hurry to sell, and invites the fullest investigation.

Springfield Street Railway Trolley Barn (1897)

Trolley Barn

At 2273 Main Street and Carew Street in Springfield is a Romanesque-style structure known as the Trolley Barn. Designed by the local architectural firm of Gardner, Pyne & Gardner, it was built in 1897 and served as offices, terminal, garage, and maintenance facility for the Springfield Street Railway Company (formed in 1870). It was once one of several trolley barns along Main Street that serviced the city’s streetcars. Trolleys were eventually overtaken by buses and in 1958 the building was acquired by Peter Pan Bus Lines, which used it as both a bus garage and as a corporate office. Peter Pan later moved to a larger facility. The Trolley Barn was renovated in the early 1980s and then turned over to Coach Builders, Inc., a Peter Pan affiliate that that specialized in rebuilding and refurbishing old buses. A minivan crashed into the corner of the building on January 15, 2015.

Memorial Square Building (1911)

Memorial Square Building

Located in Springfield‘s Memorial Square neighborhood, near the former Memorial Congregational Church, now St. George Greek Orthodox Church, is the Memorial Square Building at 2291-2295 Main Street. Built in 1911 by the E. J. Pinney Company, the building (now called Memorial Square Apartments) has retail space on the first floor with five stories of apartments.